• Jimbob
    Hi everyone

I am new to this forum.

I hope someone can help me.

I have acquired a bell which I have been told it’s a ringing bell from a church.

If it’s not too much trouble could someone give me any info on it’s past life ie what type of church/tower it may have come from, why did it ring, any photos of similar bells in situ etc, etc.6re7njmoumg426wy.png
    vlemfykszb14twrw.png
    5tgsikd6i0r9go7b.png

Any info and photos would be hugely appreciated.

Apologies to anyone who may find me on this forum as an imposter but i didn’t know where to go for any help.

Many thanks

Jim
  • Lucy Chandhial
    It looks like a chiming bell, hung from the bracket so it would be seen from outside the church. Probably for chiming with a hammer hitting against it but could be that a rope is tied to the clapper (rather than a full circle ringing bell). It would help to know the size of the bell and whether there is any inscription to say who made it and when.
  • John Harrison
    definitely rung by swinging. The thin lever attached to the headstock would have the rope/cord/wire attached to it.
    It would have been fixed to a wall with the thick part of the frame attached to it.
  • Jimbob
    Thanks for your valued replies guys, does it look like it’s missing part of the frame, would anyone have a similar picture to what it would/may have looked like in situ on a wall.
  • John Harrison
    no, I think the frame is complete, if a little unusual. The straight piece would be bolted to the wall, probably vertical. That carries the pivot for one end of the headstock, and the curved piece coming form it, probable downward, carries the pivot at the othe end. That should be adequate to support the weight of the bell, and since it only swings through a small angle there shouldn't be large lateral forces.
    All this is conjecture of course. I am simply reverse engineering what is visible.
  • Jimbob
    Thanks John
  • John Harrison
    It would help to know how big it is. You didn't answer Lucy's question. My guess is not very big, but pictures can be misleading.
  • Peter Sotheran
    It appears to be 'long-waisted', that is, the height* is greater than the diameter. As a general rule, most modern bells are slightly wider than they are tall. This might imply that your bell somewhat older than it is modern.
    (* Height being measured from the 'crown' of the bell - beneath the bracket to which it is attached - to the rim.)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to your Ringing Forums!

If you would like to join in the conversation, please register for an account.

You will only be able to post and/or comment once you have confirmed your email address and been approved by an Admin.